Monday 7 July 2014

Why Do German?


Hi there ladies and gents! Reece here, today I'm going to cover one of the most controversial aspects in the reenactment community, even, funnily enough, within the second world war community itself...
Why do German?
It's a fair enough question I've had many times myself that often leads to awkward stares and the muttered rumours of possible far right political alignment, so I'll start by explaining why I do German.
My interest in the Axis perspective of WW2 pre-dates my knowledge of WW2 itself. When I was younger, I was a huge Star Wars fanatic, I played all the games, especially Star Wars Battlefront, and quickly learned that the strongest side to play was the Empire, and the best troops – the Stormtroopers. Then, as if by chance, I got playing WW2 strategy games, the first of which was Codename: Panzers – Phase 2, and would you believe it? They were the strongest side with the biggest and strongest vehicles, so I was treading on familiar ground. My interest in the subject grew, I inherited this great big book - “World War 2” from my late grandfather and read about this organisation that sounded a LOT like the stormtroopers I knew and loved – the Waffen SS.
Now, some of you may be reading this and hearing alarm bells going off - “Oh my god! The dreaded Waffen SS! He must be an evil racist white supremacist!” calm down ladies and gents, nothing to fear here. Some people get very wound up with the politics of the time and how this carries over to today, but I've always looked at history from a fairly neutral perspective, so all I can ask is that you hear me out.
There was always something fascinating about being the “bad guy” whether it be fact or fiction, and let's not forget that we're in this hobby to enjoy ourselves, and some people, myself included, like to play as the antagonist. Now the great thing about doing German is the sheer variety offered in terms of impressions – I remember at 14 years of age being mesmerised by the amount of choice I had! I could be a field grey glad soldier in the German Army (Wehrmacht Heer) slogging through Stalingrad, I could be a hardened paratrooper in a camouflage smock fighting at Monte Cassino! But why portray the SS? The controversy behind the armed wing of the Nazi Party runs deep through history and in modern society, just look at a few newspapers covering the feature of reenacting and no doubt you'll come across “DRESSED AS THE NAZI SS!” what could compel a fairly ordinary teen to portray something so criminal? Well let me tell you this, I couldn't care less what I portrayed as long as it was German! I was introduced to a few like-minded teens just like myself who by chance happened to portray Panzer Grenadiers in the Waffen SS, now this was a huge discovery for me, thinking at the time I was the only teen interested in this sort of thing, I rocked up to events to meet them and was blown away by the variety of uniforms – camouflage trousers, lightning strikes on the collar, camouflage smocks and helmet covers and would you believe it, SKULLS on a cap! Now, if that doesn't make your inner child jump and down with delight then I suggest getting back in touch with your inner self because that sealed the deal for me there and then! Every reenactor I've spoken to who does German I've personally asked “Why?” because everyone has a different reason, and despite what the media may tell you, of all the ladies and gents I've asked in this question, I've never heard of personal support or belief in Nazi ideology. Sure, there is an interesting aspect to it no doubt, the Nazi regime tried very hard to bolster their image of military swagger which still impresses to this day, some like the smart appearance of the uniforms, the “undefeatable” image that's attached with the Germans, the weapons, or simply because they like acting as villains – just look at it this way, if I or any other individual within the circle wanted to show the glory watermark of the Third Reich, why would 90% of us portray a period from 1944-1945, when Germany and the German military was at the end of its rope?

Yes, we are more than aware of the stigma and possible offence this may cause to perhaps you or somebody you know, but before you answer the question “Why do they do German?” for us, why not swing by and ask us yourselves, yes, there is the odd “bad egg” that's in it for the wrong reasons, but they are dealt with fairy swiftly, you'll find us Krauts to be a friendly and approachable bunch that, just like your GI's, Ivans and Tommies are just here to have a good bit of light hearted fun as much as the next guy.

  • Im Besten, Kameraden!
  • Reece   

No comments:

Post a Comment